Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Mint Merigues



This recipe for light and sweet meringue cookies was my first recipe.  I made Mint Meringues at about nine years of age, and I was hooked. My mother had an olive green 70's era kitchenaid mixer, the essential kitchen appliance!  Baking became a hobby of mine, and I often convinced my friends to join in the fun.


Mint Meringues

  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • pinch of salt
  • ½ teaspoon cream of tartar, optional
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 1 cup mint chocolate chips(if available), semi-sweet or dark chocolate chocolate chips
  • ½ teaspoon peppermint extract or mint flavoring
  • green food coloring, optional
Beat egg whites, water, and salt to soft peaks(use the whisk attachment).  Cream of tartar can help stabilize the egg whites, I used to add it, but the cookies work fine without it.

Add sugar(mint extract and food coloring, if using).  Whip until satiny stiff peaks form.


Lightly fold in chocolate chips.  Drop by teaspoon onto wax paper lined sheet pan.  Bake at 300° for 30-35 minutes.  They will be light golden, crisp and dry when they are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment